Wednesday, August 1, 2012

stupid fingers (the art of trying to learn braille)



I will be learning more braille soon to make it easier on me, and you know what?


I have stupid fingers. 


you know when you try to do something that looks so absolutely easy when  anyone does it .but when you do, you can't figure it out? like your brain doesn't connect to your fingers? well that's me, don't know why but i have learned some braille a little before and that's what happened,..

stupid fingers.



It really took some work and I definatly could not figure out the "shorthand" very well. its like i have a stubborn block to all this. I know i cant see small print, or even regular print . I also know that I can get things in large print but I still lose words. SO why wouldnt I be excited to fully understand  braille? because for some one who is losing sight , i am sight orientated.  Ive gotten to used to squinting, and magnifyers and blowing things up I want to see what im doing. the process of telling my brain to feel and not squint is not an easy concept. 

And i for one am in love with braille and its beauty,  Ive used t in several paintings and still continue to. But its like  I am someone who understands some Spanish, but id like to speak it fluently.

 Id like to "speak" braille fluently.


I am sure im not alone. people with visual impairments get very used to seeing life the way they see but navagationg through it even still.  switching to feeling and not over working my poor degerating eyes is a hard switch.

I went to the center for the blind and brought this up to the girl i met in the office who aslo was visually impaired. she too to my suprise said she had the hardest time when she was switching form large print to audio books. In time , she said, the mind makes that switch and it is so much more fun to listen to.

Hmmm maybe I just like the way my head narrates and I need to get used to hearing someone else tell the story. The same could work for braille,.


I was reading my mail and thought about how i did that, and i figured out HOW in fact i read. I guess the shapes of the words so much that my mind really takes over and guesses , even the shapes of sentences . this is probably the biggest problem, trying to shut of my minds guessing up.

My class starts in a few weeks, so I will continue trying to flip that switch and turn off my stupid fingers :) and learn to be fluent at it.


se hablo braille ?

No comments:

Post a Comment