Thursday, January 27, 2011

The wobbly easel, ....dedicated to memory of my mentor....

At some point i think everyone has someone come into there life and touch it in such a profound way that they are never forgotten. For most it is a loved one a best friend you've known your whole life, or perhaps your significant other. For  some they meet a person who come through that path and changes something in them or helps them to see something greater, like a mentor.Mine only passed through for a short time but everyday i remember her and will never forget what she really did for me.

I was sitting at home in my apartment on Euclid chatting away as we did Britney and I maybe about nothing in particular but it would lead to something in particular.We had a bad case of "ooh shiny", this is where you can be easily distracted by things or jump conversations quickly. During one of our fun chats i looked at Britney and had signaled some art work i had started to do again, it had been years since my last attempt at oils and wasn't going down that route i wanted to try it again but have fun."i found my old sketch book there are all there sketches of profiles and faces i think i want to paint this canvas but in not really sure want id do next." this complete train of thought sent us thinking and minds wandering What could i do? I didn't go to school for art and well wasn't even friends with any other artists.At some point in our conversation something happened that brought to our attention a newsletter in the mail pile from a organization for those with vision disabilities dong an art show."you need to call this", she said. she knew i wouldn't i was terrified , what would i say? I don't even know any friends who have similar issues what would i say?"your being stubborn and your going to call this number", she said smiling, of course shes right, always was, and she did what any good friend would do,..

She dialed the number , smiled and put her phone in my hand.

I am pretty sure with every ring i heard my heart beat faster. Nervous thought running laps in my head," what do i say""no one wants to see my art!" , and a lot of "oh my gah,..".

someone answered on the line, "thank you for calling this is Judy can i help you".
" I'm calling about some information on your art show"i asked in a hushed tone.
"have you entered before?" she responded.
i responded meekly",...no,..."
that was the beginning of a hour and a half conversation.
She asked me so many questions, she said she was an artist as well, that she had similar vision issues, we couldn't stop chatting!! It was one of the most wonderful conversations i had ever had. I felt accepted, and understood, i never thought i would meet someone who had so much in common with that part of me.Through the whole conversation Britney just sat there smiling, not mad at all at how long i was on phone but she sat beaming at me and my bonding with Judy one the phone.

Thanks to Judy's help i entered the show.I went down town personally to fill out my form and bring photos of my work, i really did it because i wanted to meet this wonderful woman.

What would've been a brief visit turned into another few hours! She showed my all the assistance i could get as an adult let me use the CCTV to  fill out my form, and we talked and talked. We had even bonded over our animals, my cat and her guide dog shared the same name, and a rare one too, both named Harpo(like Harpo Marx).That day in the office truly embedded our friendship.She was the first to call me to tell me I was chosen for the show even before anyone else knew, she talked with me about my eyesight , about using my cane, and also showed me the video for the guide dog group that could help me.

throughout the following month after the show we talked whenever we could, she came by with her husband and Harpo and showed me the guide dog video.That was a very hard day for me.

Then i noticed her calls stopping and i got one out of the blue"would you like to come to my house? I have something very special for you."I was excited of course! i had learned so much she was such an amazing mentor to me and i looked forward to anything else she may have to teach.Her art was one of the most amazing inspirations. She painted flowers close up and star clusters in space, just amazing!She never tried to make anything clear or precise just captured that amazing feeling she got when she saw them.

I arrived at her house with my boyfriend at the tie.He of course was bored and uninterested in going but went for my sake.Our visit started with a brief tour of her lovely home, and her animals,She would adopt her guide dogs after there service and they were so sweet and loving. I admired how clean her home was for all the animals and her sight, she was just remarkable.

"We have been chatting so long i almost forgot." she signaled to her husband to grab the gift.He walked around the corner with this huge 7 or 8 foot tall artist easel.

It was worn and painted on, leaned to one side, and was beautiful." I want you to have this, I have had this since college and i bought a new one the other day. I told my husband i wanted to pass it down to another artist, someone who was visually impaired like me, i want  you to have this. Promise you'll never stop painting." she smiled and i choked back so many tears. "yes i promise", i gave her the biggest hug , . we chatted some more then i had to go being pulled my the boyfriend, we found a way to get it in the car and waved goodbye.


I set it up immediately, looking and touching all the caked up gobs of paint that gave it such character.I felt so unbelievable honored to be asked to paint on it.

After about 2 more months of no response to phone calls, i got an answer,"I'm sorry no one told you Rachel but she ha been on a medical leave that's all we know."

The next phone call was informing me that she had had fast progressing brain cancer and had been trying to get help and in that few short months lost her battle.The day i got that phone call i dropped the phone and just starred at the easel crying ,It wasn't even a year in my life and she was already gone.

I attended her wake with Britney and my boyfriend, but couldn't bring my self to attend the funeral. A few weeks later i attended and spoke at the office were i met her  as they hung up her painting and made a dedication to her.I don't remember what i said just that i cried through most of it.

Judy was truly one of the biggest inspirations on my life, her impact is never forgotten everyday,. I will continue to make art and painting every piece on this easel, until maybe one day i can pass it down and do for someone what she did for me,

thank you Judy for everything.



you can follow my art on here, facebook, and artslent

No comments:

Post a Comment