Saturday, January 15, 2011

the blogging blindish painter,...


it sometimes occurs to me as i sit up late at night no sleep, eyes drooping, tired, strained,this is when  i create some of my more intimate works.

I guess its more amusing to me since I'm legally blind, i lose more vision through sleep deprivation however this is my desired time to create, so I'm an artist who is also a glutten for punishment i suppose.

i decided to start blogging about my experiences doing the new series and my new year in the art world. you see it appears i have become like the "Manet" of the visually impaired/blind artist  community  here in Chicago. i try to show with my peers and are somehow rejected,... I'm guessing because i paint nudes. Hey clothes are hard enough when one has no  depth perception so gimme a break i choose the most classic style of portraiture and am somehow shunned. this year I'm going to go ahead and submit to there show again, one last shot at trying to once again show with my peers in Chicago,last time my excuse was" paintings are a dying medium". The real reason was,.." you stick out like a sore thumb, your pieces are too large, and too naked!"



i started creating art secretly in high school, ruler in hand very geometrical pieces. my mother being the true artist and i knowing i had not enough vision to attempt tried the very modern approach to start.
this soon led to 3am sketchbook rendezvous with pastel chalks, then surrealistic acyclic chances in the morning.
most my friends didn't even know i did anything not to mention that i joined the art club without being in one art class.i kept it my Lil secret til after high school, selling or giving away to the few who knew. I think i felt embarrassed.i was the blind girl we all laughed about it to make it easier on me, who would take me doing art seriously????

there are actually very many blind and legally blind artist, just most don't know they exist. I think the mere thought that a visually impaired person is creating a extremely vision medium boggles the brain. Even more that most vi painters have such depth and texture to there paints on the canvas, it takes more then a quick look from the sighted viewer to even take it all in.



I am finalizing my new series, its a next step to my "double negative" series. Its  series in which i started painting completely in black and white, showing only the shadows dancing on my figures. Allowing for optimal light and shadow reflecting from my severe light sensitivity that has developed in my vision.the newest series I'm forcing sighted viewers to really experience it and view this like me to be able to see it in a diff rent way, I'm so excited :))

Did i mention i have a show in just a few weeks where I'm to debut this?

My goal in art as in the blog to to shine light on a new perspective, where i come from how i do it and what i create.and hopefully make a few people laugh with me a suppose, and for all my peeps out there don't you hate it when someone says hey did you "see" that? :P

you can follow my art on facebook or artslant

No comments:

Post a Comment